National News

Buhari commends armed forces on release of 344 abducted students

President Muhammadu Buhari has commended the armed forces on release of the 344 students of Government Science Secondary School, Kankara, Katsina State, who were abducted last Friday.

Buhari said the release of the students shows the armed forces know their job.

The President also praised the collaboration between the military and government that lead to the eventual release of the students.

He commended all those involved in the release of the students, saying his administration would do its best to secure the release of those held against their will across the country.

“The Governor, Aminu Bello Masari, and the army worked extremely hard. As soon as I got the information I congratulated them. The Armed Forces know their job. They have been well trained and properly motivated,” the president said in a statement Garba Shehu, his spokesman, issued on his behalf.

Buhari urged the citizens to be patient and fair to the administration as it deals with the problems of security, economy and corruption.

“When we came, we made efforts that yielded the return of the Chibok Girls. When a similar incident of school abduction happened at Dapchi, we successfully returned all but one of the more than one hundred abductees. When this latest incident happened, we put in our efforts and today we have this result to show,” he said.

He said the north-west now presents a challenge which his administration is determined to deal with.

“We have a lot of work to do, especially now that we have re-opened the borders. It is unfortunate that the bandits and terrorists continue to get weapons even under the circumstances of the border closure. We are going to dare them. We will deal with all that,” the president was quoted to have said.

He prayed for the full recovery of the students, whom he said had endured significant hardships in the course of their six-day ordeal.

Conforming release of the students to newsmen on Thursday, Abdul Labaran, the Director-General, Media, Governor Aminu Bello Masari of Katsina State confirmed said the students were being transported from the bush where the bandits released them.

It would be recalled that Governor Masari had ordered the closure of all boarding schools till further notice, following Friday night kidnap of the students to forestall any occurrence.

He had also assured that the gunmen had been contacted and that negotiation was on, just as earlier in the day, on Thursday, the bandits released a video of the kidnapped schoolboys.

The Bliss
Your No 1 Shop for relevant and updated news
https://www.thebliss.com.ng